The mission of Norfolk Public Schools, the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community, is to ensure that all students maximize their academic potential, develop skills for lifelong learning and are successful contributors to a global society, as distinguished by: • Courageous advocacy for all students
• Family and community investment
• Data-driven personalized learning
• Strong and effective leadership teams
• Shared responsibility for teaching and learning
• Access to rigorous and rewarding college and career readiness opportunities
Board & Division Priorities
• Ensure full accreditation
• Increase academic achievement of all students
• Improve climate, safety & attendance
• Become a School Board of Distinction
• Promote Norfolk Public Schools to reflect outstanding accomplishments of staff, teachers and students
• Develop and coordinate a capital improvement plan for facilities and technology to enhance teaching and learning
• Attract, retain, and help to develop strong academic families and highly qualified teachers and staff
What's Happening in NPS
All Month: Music in Our Schools, Middle Level Education and Youth Art months
Sunday, March 9: Spring forward for the beginning of Daylight Saving Time - set clocks ahead an hour.
Monday, March 10: Informal progress reports issued for elementary students, and interim evaluations issued for secondary students.
Tuesday, March 11: Special Education Advisory Committee, 7-8 p.m., Norfolk Technical Center. Parents and staff invited to attend. The topic will be Extended School Year (ESY).
Wednesday, March 12: School Board work session to discuss the proposed 2014-2015 Operating Budget, noon, Central Administration Building, 800 E. City Hall Ave., 12th floor. The meeting will be live-streamed on the NPS Web site and broadcast live on Norfolk Cox Cable Ch. 47. For more information about the proposed Operating Budget, click here.