Monday, May 20: Annual Virginia Standards of Learning testing continues.
Monday, June 3: Community Safety Forum, sponsored by the Norfolk Sheriff's Office, the Norfolk Police Department, the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office, Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters and NPS. 5:30-7:30 p.m., Norfolk Police Department's Third Patrol Division, 901 Asbury Avenue (off Tidewater Drive in the Central Business Park, near Walmart). Free refreshments, door prizes, and Identi-Kid ID badges for children will be provided. Topics include keeping children safe from firearms, appropriate ways to talk to children about danger and tragedies, and Virginia laws.
Monday, June 3: Norfolk Mayor Paul Fraim will be the featured guest for a discussion and Q&A about education in Norfolk. The event is sponsored by Norfolk GAINS, Growing and Investing in Norfolk's Schools, from 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at the Norfolk Technical Center, 1330 N. Military Hwy.
1. Ensure full accreditation
2. Increase academic achievement of all students
3. Improve climate, safety & attendance
4. Become a School Board of Distinction
5. Promote Norfolk Public Schools to reflect outstanding accomplishments of staff, teachers and students
6. Develop and coordinate a capital improvement plan for facilities and technology to enhance teaching and learning
7. Attract, retain, and help to develop strong academic families and highly qualified teachers and staff